Did you know that the money received through the sake of your tax free structured settlement payments should also be tax free? Contact our payment services toll free to find out the tax status on your structured settlement or annuity.
Structured settlement and annuity recipients are protected by Section 104(a) (2) of the Internal Revenue Code as follows:
“Damages (money) received from personal injury settlements and sickness should not be considered as income and therefore should not be subject to tax.
Under a structured settlement, all future payments are completely free form:
- Federal & state income taxes.
- Taxes on interest, dividends and capital gains.
- The Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT).
Additionally, Section 5891 of the Internal Revenue Code was passed in 2002 and protects annuitants in the sale of their structured settlement payments.
“Section 5891 requires that the sale of structured settlement payments be approved by a judge in accordance to the state legislation and statute. This model act was created to make sure that every structured settlement transfers is in the best interest of the annuitant and dependents of the annuitant.”
To qualify for special tax treatment, a structured settlement must meet the following requirements:
- A structured settlement must be established by:
A suit or agreement for preiodic payment of damages excludable from gross income under internal revenue code section 104(a)(2) (26 U.S.C. 104(a)(2)); or
- The periodic payments must be of the character described in sub paragraphs (A) and (B) of Internal Revenue Code Section 130(c)(2) (26 U.S.C. 130 (c)(2))) and must be payable by a person who:
- By a person who has assumed the liability for such periodic payments under a qulaified assignement in accordance with Internal Revenue Code Section 130 (26 U.S.C. 130).
Your structured settlement is important to consider during tax season. Please call us here at Cash In Your Annuity for more information on the tax free status of your structured settlement or annuity payments.
OUR EXPERIENCED ACCOUNT EXECUTIVES ARE READY TO HEAR FROM YOU.Call Us Today
10-28-2014 It’s my money and I want it now. Cash now for your annuity is what our clients are clamoring. We have heard it over and over again. There...
Thinking About Selling Your Settlement? You have a settlement and have been receiving payments each month from it. The payments have been just enough to cover bills, but then...
Settlement After a Car Crash You were driving and another car came out of nowhere and hit you. The severity of the crash caused you bodily harm which required medical...