Did you know that the money received through the sake of your tax free structured settlement payments should also be tax free? Contact our payment services toll free to find out the tax status on your structured settlement or annuity.
Structured settlement and annuity recipients are protected by Section 104(a) (2) of the Internal Revenue Code as follows:
“Damages (money) received from personal injury settlements and sickness should not be considered as income and therefore should not be subject to tax.
Under a structured settlement, all future payments are completely free form:
- Federal & state income taxes.
- Taxes on interest, dividends and capital gains.
- The Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT).
Additionally, Section 5891 of the Internal Revenue Code was passed in 2002 and protects annuitants in the sale of their structured settlement payments.
“Section 5891 requires that the sale of structured settlement payments be approved by a judge in accordance to the state legislation and statute. This model act was created to make sure that every structured settlement transfers is in the best interest of the annuitant and dependents of the annuitant.”
To qualify for special tax treatment, a structured settlement must meet the following requirements:
- A structured settlement must be established by:
A suit or agreement for preiodic payment of damages excludable from gross income under internal revenue code section 104(a)(2) (26 U.S.C. 104(a)(2)); or
- The periodic payments must be of the character described in sub paragraphs (A) and (B) of Internal Revenue Code Section 130(c)(2) (26 U.S.C. 130 (c)(2))) and must be payable by a person who:
- By a person who has assumed the liability for such periodic payments under a qulaified assignement in accordance with Internal Revenue Code Section 130 (26 U.S.C. 130).
Your structured settlement is important to consider during tax season. Please call us here at Cash In Your Annuity for more information on the tax free status of your structured settlement or annuity payments.
OUR EXPERIENCED ACCOUNT EXECUTIVES ARE READY TO HEAR FROM YOU.Call Us Today
Even though payments on a structured settlement have been coming in, there is a good possibility that you’re going to need to borrow against it right away. For many...
How to Sell a Structured Settlement If you come to a point in your life when selling your structured settlement sounds like a good idea, then it’s time for...
Sell Your Annuity for Cash Having a structured settlement or annuity is nice, but there will come a time when you need cash immediately. Since you didn’t opt to...